Greetings all! I’ve selected eight representative examples of post-mortem ocular descriptions from previous medical-legal death examinations, to help bring into perspective some of the previous discussion points regarding post-mortem ocular changes. Hope these are helpful! -Hal
1. The eyes are closed, irides are brown, corneas are moist and clear, and the conjunctivae have no petechiae. Sclerae are icteric. Sclerae are icteric. Pupils are round, regular, centrally positioned, and unequal in size measuring 3 mm on the right and 4 mm on the left.
2. Sclerae are slightly cloudy. Irides are blue-gray. Pupils are round, regular, centrally positioned, and equal in size at measuring 3 mm in diameter. Conjunctivae have no petechiae on bulbar or palpebral surfaces. Arcus senilis is present bilaterally and a small film of orange fluid presents on the right eye.
3. A left periorbital contusion is present confined to the left upper eyelid. A 5/8 inch red abrasion is noted adjacent to the lateral canthus of the right eye and a inferolateral faint scleral hemorrhage is present.
4. The eyes are closed over capped eye globes. The corneae are slightly cloudy, the irides brown and the conjunctivae remarkable for arcus senilis and scleral icteris. The pupils are round, central and equal.
5. The eyes are closed. The corneae are cloudy, the irides brown and the conjunctivae injected. The pupils are round, central and unequal (left greater than right). There is a scleral hemorrhage involving the inferior half of the right eyeglobe.
6. The irides are brown; the conjunctivae are free of petechiae and jaundice. There is red discoloration of the sclerae without discernible hemorrhage
7. The corneae are cloudy to opaque with tache noire noted over the left sclerae. No petechiae of the palpebral or bulbar conjunctivae surfaces are noted. Irides are indiscernible and the conjunctivae remarkable for numerous scleral hemorrhages. The pupils are round, central and equal.
8. The eyes are closed. The corneae are clear and dry. The irides green and the conjunctivae markedly injected. A thin rim of arcus senilis is present. Pinpoint and punctate petechiae are noted on the upper sclera bilaterally. The pupils are round, central and equal.